Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
I have a question about Tracfone mobile web services?
05-20-2013, 04:10 AM
I have a question about Tracfone mobile web services?
If I were to purchase the LG 840 g phone for example how much airtime would I be charged for going on the internet. I read that it deducts half an airtime minute for every minute on, does this apply to this phone too. I also read on their website that the mobile web browser can only go on sites listed on their mobile web list. Is this true? Am I limited to only certain websites? Can I not use google to browse the web and go on websites that aren't on their list? Basically can anyone tell me about their recent internet experiences with tracfone. Thanks for any help.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-20-2013, 04:15 AM

"TRACFONE Mobile Web Access
Each time you access the TRACFONE Mobile Web with your TRACFONE's browser, 0.5 units per minute will be deducted from your TRACFONE. TRACFONE Mobile Web Access Charges are deducted in full minute increments. Mobile Web access of less than 60 seconds is rounded up to the next full minute. 1 minute of TRACFONE Mobile Web Access = 0.5 units of airtime.:"
http://www.tracfone.com/data_svs/price_chart.jsp

However you don't always have to use minutes when you browse - I own the LG840G and it also supports Wifi. Many people have Wifi wireless internet set up in their house and/or at work (or there's also Wifi at some commercial places like Starbucks). Wifi is a short-range wireless extension of the internet connection you pay to have at home (at work, etc). For example, at my house we added a wireless Wifi router that we bought to the Comcast internet connection we pay for and that lets us connect to the internet on our laptop computers around the house.

Since the LG840G has a Wifi receiver built in, you can connect to Wifi with it - and while connected to Wifi you can browse for free without using minutes. If you make calls or texts, those still use minutes. Most Wifi networks are protected with a "WEP" key (usually a word or a string of letters and numbers) and to connect to those networks the first time you'll need to enter and save the key (tricky since that uses a phone-type simulated keypad and ***'s out what you enter fairly quickly). I know the WEP keys for my home Wifi and the Wifi at my inlaws. Some businesses that offer free Wifi have unprotected networks (no WEP key needed) and others need to tell you the key.
Tracfone tutorial on setting up Wifi
http://tracfone.deviceanywhere.com/tracf...gation=end

I always turn Wifi off when I am not using it since the phone will use up its battery power faster with Wifi on.

Re what websites - this is my first cell phone but as I understand it in general, cell phones can use the simpler mobile pages that many websites provide. These mobile page web addresses often start with m. like m.twitter.com - this old article has examples of links to some popular mobile sites.
http://webtrends.about.com/od/mobileweb2...sites-.htm

The LG840G is a Java phone and somewhat smart, but not as smart/capable as a much more expensive type of smartphone like an Android or iPhone. Android and iOS support more things on the web especially more media (video, animation, music) things, more apps and more secure/signin apps (like Kindle reader - you cannot get Kindle reader for Java but you can get it for iPhone and Android. And you probably can't do video chat or video streaming with LG840G. With LG840G's built-in browser you can view Youtubes (possibly just some Youtubes) in a postage-stamp size (not full screen). Another browser you can get for LG840G is mini-Opera - it is supposedly better at browsing but won't play Youtubes. With any browser, you may have trouble with complex sites and sites that don't offer mobile pages. So there are limits but there are still lots of things you can do with it.

Ads

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply